Fiction Friday

[Fiction] Friday Challenge for December 19, 2008:

Write a short scene, with exactly two characters that involves a terrible Christmas (or similar holiday) present.

A: What is it?
B: He called it an “object duh art”.
A: That’s cute.
B: That?!
A: No…that he tried to say it in French.
B: That’s what saved me?
A: What did?
B: His “French” pronunciation…he thought that’s what I was laughing at.
A: OK…so…objet d’art…But what is it?
B: I didn’t have the heart to ask him.
A: Is there a tag?
B: No.
A: Where did he get it?
B: At an art festival.
A: He went to an art festival.
B: Yep.
A: On his own?
B: No. He dragged his friends along with him.
A: You’re kidding.
B: Evidently they stopped at one on the way to one of the games.
A: Now you have to be kidding.
B: He says they were all walking around in football jerseys getting weird looks from the artists.
A: I can imagine. I wish I could have seen that.
B: Me too.
A: So he went to an art festival…
B: Yep…for that.
A: No. Not for that.
B: For what then?
A: If he went an art festival, he went for you. That…was an unintended consequence.
B:
A: Oh, don’t look so damned giddy.
B: Sorry.
A: So are you going to leave it out?
B: Of course I am.
A: Where?
B: That depends on what it is.
A:
B:
A: It might be a pitcher.
Advertisements

8 Comments Add yours

1. Bob-kat says:

I’m trying to imagine what this object d’art actually looks like and I’m getting a Darli-esque picture in my head! Loved the ‘object duh art’. Sounds like something Homer might say 😀

Netcheck sent me 🙂

2. mw says:

Lots of implied backstory – I like it. And, I’m pretty sure it’s not a pitcher.

Thanks!

3. Tammi says:

I love these dialogues. I get such vivid pictures…I love the clever use of language, especially “pitcher”.

4. Short and sweet. I love the snappy dialogue that gets to the crux of the story. I particularly love the idea of a bunch of football dudes wandering around an art gallery show/opening.

That’s love for you!

And I never considered (until I just read Tammi’s comment) the double meaning of pitcher. Aussie sensibilities I guess.

5. Rob says:

Having been one of those athletes who tried to do the art show thing (I was a pitcher, actually)… this one hit home nicely. I am absolutely certain that a number of people had this very conversation about a gift I made or gave! (Them: is it an ash tray or a coffee mug? Me: No, it’s a cookie jar, duh!)

Very good work with the dialogue to tell the whole story.

6. colleen says:

Or is it the kind of pitcher you can pour from? I can see this as a cartoon.

Netchick sent me to say that.

7. Monica A says:

Netchick sent me to say hi!
    I enjoyed this! As I was reading this, I could see the puzzled expressions as I tried to imagine what it was he was possessed to buy her.

Monica

8. Bob-kat says:

Netchick sent me back 🙂

Love the cartoon at the top of your blog. I never knew the creative process was so painful 😉